Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Italy; KLIA - Roma.

So here it is. The first post on my very recent trip to Italy. I'm currently chilling in my hotel room in London after a hectic day of shopping (Boxing Day, hey!). I've been sleeping in early ever since we arrived in London, so today I'm gonna be a bit adventurous and keep myself awake a little while longer.

That... and the fact that I just ate dinner and I'd feel much too guilty about sleeping straight after once I'm awake. I would almost always gain weight after travelling. Maybe because I always travel with my family and we're always on the bus on guided tours and we'd take the cab instead to save money. So theres not much walking included.

Singapore, however was the first trip where I actually LOST weight since Hadzray and I walked almost all the way everywhere, ate very little (compared to our normal days in Malaysia) and... it was blazing hot. 

Okay enough with this weight talk, here we go;

Our flight to Dubai was scheduled to take off at approximately 2 am, so we headed to KLIA around 10 pm. Don't ask me why we were there so early... I couldn't really understand why either.

Was pretty stumped because I spent the whole day packing, because I didn't want to distract myself from college and the work I had to get done before I left. Okay... that and because after many-a-time travelling, I've learned that I pack better when I pack last minute. 

After packing I headed to college for a bit to take some measurements (again, WTF) and to return a book I forgot I borrowed (okay no actually I was planning to steal it but heck Taylor's is gonna charge me an arm if I really did that) to avoid having to pay the fine for having return it any later.


Get up:

Slouchy knitted cardigan - Topshop (bought to share with Mama)
Oversized denim shirt - Zara
Black tights - Cotton On (found this in my closet... even though I'm pretty sure I never purchased them)
Convertible Black Bag - Forever 21 
Black Boots - Older sister's horseriding boots (She doesn't wear them anymore... and my Doc Martens is too heavy to wear to travel)

I wanted to dress comfortably enough for the long hours inside the airplane, but at the same time still look good enough to walk around in once we arrive in Rome. 

Ate dinner at NOOODLES before heading to our boarding gate.

Green tea. Of course.

Ordered their Spicy Beef Noodle (extra spicy in my case, coz I asked for extra chili and poured it all in) and it was surprisingly delicious. Makes me miss Pho Hoa. Mmm Pho Hoa.


I was a bit annoyed at first when I found out that we're going to be flying off on Emirates. But its largely because (or only because) I HATE TRANSITS. Especially in Dubai. 

I mean, the first two, three, four - six times (two times with each journey) its okay. But once you get to the tenth till the nth time its just.... (-________-) Just get me to my destination, seriously. I don't even feel the need to walk around to see what I can buy anymore.


But there is admittedly more pros than cons when flying on Emirates. And stopping for transits. For one; Have you ever been on a 10 hour ++ flight?! DUDE BONTOT KEBAS OKAY. Like the last time when I rode on MAS from London to Kuala Lumpur. All I did was sleep especially since I had all three seats in the left aisle all to myself.

Plus, the in-flight food served on Emirates is okayyyy (not a fan of plane food to be honest) though if I had to choose, I'd pick the peanuts they give on MAS rather than the salted bread biscuits on Emirates. 

The best part however, has to be the in-flight entertainment. Top-notch.

And if you're lucky to get the upgraded / new planes, your leg space would be much more spacious than any other airline (Greatly appreciated when the person in front of you is an insensitive douche who reclines their seats ALL the way to your thighs, WTF). Oh and did I tell you that Emirates is currently the only airline that allows you to switch on your mobile phones? Yeap. 

I should try tweeting from up in the skies....

Fortunately, we had a 4 hour transit so it didn't feel that long till we hop onto another flight. This time to Fiumicino airport in Rome, Italy.


Got pretty ecstatic about this flight because... It would be my first time on an Airbus A380! 


Its massive. Feeling so much hate to people riding on Business and First class... But Alhamdulillah. And we all reach the same place in the end anyways. Although they get those pod seats, and 3-course meals and... (-______________-)

Strange dessert thingy on-board. 

Ayah traded seats with me! So I get to sit by the window. 

I know right... who the hell smuggles a camera into an airplane's toilet and snaps pictures of herself. Oh wait; ME. 

Ni memang batak habis I don't even...

Rayyan. Probably the cutest living person on Earth right now.



Alhamdulillah... we arrived safely in Rome albeit about 3 hours late because our plane took forever before taking off. 

The Fiumicino airport is very mehhhh. Of all the airports I've been to, I honestly think KLIA is the best. Although if I had to complain it'd be because KLIA is dead too soon at night. 


Not only was the airport very mehhhh but we even had to pay 2 euros for a trolley. And its not a deposit. Yes. You read me right... About 10 MYR for a trolley we'd use for like, 30 minutes. But at times like these, we insist to see it as a type of sedekah

The trolley collectors need to make a living too.

Having landed late to begin with, we got even late-r because my sister Lisa (who came from Manchester) just couldn't have took the train from Ciampino to Fiumicino earlier. So we had to wait for her at the train station connecting the two airports.


We were supposed to begin our day with a trip to Vatican City, the smallest independent state in the world but unfortunately since we were late and had to keep in time with the schedule, we headed first towards the Colosseum.


Colosseo in Italy actually means Giant. Or something that is bigger than life. Much like the word colossal used in English. The actual name of the colosseum is The Flavian Amphitheater. 

The Colosseum is used in ancient times as a place of entertainment for Emperors and commoners alike. The usual event would begin with a battle between man and beast (Lions, tigers, elephants, etc) which would be usually imported from outside of Italy to symbolize their power and the states that they have conquered during that period. The highlight of a day in the Colosseum would be the gladiator fight where two men will fight each other to their deaths.

It is said that if the gladiators live by the time they finish serving themselves as 'entertainment', they would lead a very prosperous life. Thus why it is both a curse and a blessing to be one. You will either die, or come out a very wealthy man.


I have to apologize for 'embellishing' my pictures with all these unnecessary effects. Its just that, it was raining in Rome when we were there (and bone biting-ly cold) and being the amateur that I am, most of the photos I took on that day were either very blurry (was training myself to fully use manual focus) or dark (the weather was depressing).

The lack of a clear blue sky didn't really help. Its embarrassing, but I actually did try editing in clouds to one of the pictures and...

#FAIL.

Didn't even complete it because; (1) It took too much time. (2) OMG just look at it! LOLOLOL I can't.

With that aside, some more photos from the Colosseum.

Okay this picture extra blurry because I wrongly resized it, and then only after adding the lame effects did I realize. Didn't want to have to add the effects again, so I enlarged the picture just like that.

#FAIL again


The interior of the Colosseum nowadays look like this. You see those passageways? They were actually a kind or 'dressing room' for the gladiators if I may say so. Wild beasts were also kept in rooms underground.

And on top of that, they added on sand so that the blood stains could be removed easily. Believe it or not, back then they also managed to somehow fill the colosseum up to a certain point with water, and held battles between ships. Amazing right?


The tour was carried out in lightning speed, so I was slightly ticked off that we weren't even given more than 2 minutes to snap photos. AND not to forget that it was cold and wet. So all that everyone thought about was to hide behind a pillar and protect themselves from the wind or to chase that little ray of sunlight, that little ray emitting WARMTH.

Even more unfortunate, by the time our tour of the Colosseum ended, it was already turning dark. So yes... our tour of Rome ended there.

We didn't get to visit Vatican City, but managed a drive-thru from inside our bus. MAD disappointed. We didn't get into St. Peter's Basilica... or throw coins into the Trevi Fountain... or hang around the Spanish steps... *sigh*

Its depressing, but thats how it is; As humans, we can only plan. God decides.

Looking on the bright side; we now have a legit reason to want to return! We could even head to Spain and Greece while we're at it. *cough*cough* HEL-LO SANTORINI ISLAND! (InsyaAllah)

So thats about it for now. 


To be continued...




No comments: