Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Girl Power!

This is a post about boys. Yes BOYS. Oh whatever will I do without them?

Please do sense the sarcasm.

Something triggered me to write about this, and it happens to be the quote that a few people have been tossing / passing around that says something about:

If a guy pauses a video game to text you back,
MARRY HIM.

This 'quote' or sentence (whatever tickles your fancy) even have its own Facebook page;


And 47 086 people liked it.

So I'm probably offending that many people when I say:

That's pathetic.

I'm even offending some of my friends, coz a few of them agreed with this and well, I feel sorry for their naiveté, and hope that they will come to realize how ridiculous it is to marry a guy who pauses his video game to text you back.

I mean, if you look at it, sureeee it's sweet. It's sooo considerate. Like, "Awwwhhh he could've texted me back when he finished the game, but he chose to PAUSE it and reply my text!"

Shweetnyewwww. Gushinggushinggushinggushing.

SO I'm not a typical romantic, and I don't easily fall for gestures like that, but hey I can't help that I'm a bit of a realist and even though I enjoy spending some of my time in dreamland and in my own make believe world where my room is made out of cotton candy and umbrellas out of churros, I do make it a point to return to the real world where I definitely would not consider marrying a guy JUST because a that guy pauses a video game for me.

I can accept love quotes like;

Love is not about finding someone you can live with, but someone you can't live without.

Or something like that. Coz it does contain truth in it, and even though I don't necessarily agree that I won't be able to live just because I lack a companion in life, some people do believe that they can't live without without their 'other half' and thus the reason behind some errr... suicide cases.

Though I think its got little to do with the fact that the quote is illogical that irks me. Its more of the fact that a lot of girls choose to believe that a guy who pauses his video game to text you back is worth marrying. Just like that.

I mean, why do a lot of girls sell themselves short these days? 

Why do you think you have to marry a guy who does THAT little for you? You should ask for more. There's nothing wrong with it. There's nothing wrong with wanting more for yourself if you believe you deserve it.

I personally think I deserve a lot more than a paused game. A lot more than a box of wayyy too cliche Ferrero Rochers. A lot more than a bouquet of typical red roses. A lot more than Aerosmith's 'I Don't Want to Miss a Thing' dedicated to me. 

I want a guy who would be distracted FROM his game, because of my text. I want a box of chocolate truffles that you can't find in any old grocery store. I want a thousand daisies. I want a song written especially for me.

I don't know. Am I the only one who is sad over the fact that a lot of girls simply go weak because of guys these days? That a lot of girls consciously wear themselves down by putting themselves through an awful relationship? That a lot of girls spend days and nights crying over a male specimen? That girls sell themselves just to keep that man by their side?

It doesn't have to be like that.

Honestly, I've also cried over a guy. Spent more than a year regretting ever letting him go. Heck I even turned bulimic because I thought I could please him if I was thinner. But in the end, I thought:

WHAT FOR? Why am I putting myself through this? Its not worth it.

And I'm thankful that I went through all that, coz by the end of it, I come out a stronger girl (woman just sounds OLDDD). Up to the point where I'm pretty certain that if a guy does something sickeningly sweet for me, I would just give him a condescending look. 

You don't have to be like me. Unaffected (almost AT ALL) by affection. 

But just make sure that you have a lot more dignity than that, girls. Don't let the guys laugh at your naivete for agreeing to marry them if they paused a video game for you. Don't make it too easy for them.

Until the guy actually smashes his Playstation 3 / XBox 360 / Wii / something Nintendo coz he doesn't want a video game to come between you and him, then I think it won't hurt to hold onto those wedding plans a little while longer, no?

:-)



No comments: