Monday, March 7, 2011

Changes.

So... remember how I told y'all that I'll be studying Foundation in Design at Taylor's University? Well, that idea is very well on its way into the drain and will reach said destination (Read: Drain) tomorrow after I pay yet another visit to Taylor's lakeside campus.

Here's the thing:

I already planned on going to Taylor's today to send in my *finally* completed applications (Honestly the applications took a day to finish, finding my original SPM results transcript was the problem) today, only to find out that my parents have planned to come along.

YAYYY. 

Not.

See, its not that I don't like having my parents around. But I prefer to NOT have them around during matters such as these, coz they are gonna evaluate all my actions, give feedback, and embarrass me (like most parents do.) I'm serious. My parents are psychos. And a big part of me loveee them for that (coz it makes me a certified psycho as well, and a proud one at that), but they can be very scary. 

So there I was, about to pay my enrollment fees, and my dad decided that that was the best time to convince me to pursue a career as an architect instead.

Okay, the truth of the matter is; I have always. Always. Wanted to be an architect. Y'know those little boxes / spaces they have in school report cards that you have to fill with your 'Cita-cita' (Translate: Ambition)?

Well, MY first box is always. And I mean ALWAYS. Filled with the word 'Architect'. Like how most of my friends in Alexandria have always written 'Doctor' in theirs. Mine was that. Architect. Second box alternates between a veterinarian and a best-selling author, but thats not important right now.

What I'm trying to say is: I don't have anything against architecture. But I guess I kinda wiped it out of the selection of courses I planned to take after quitting medicine. Mostly because;

(A) I remember my parents telling me that there aren't a lot of career opportunities for an architect. And I agree. Unless you work for an established firm with a long list of loyal clients. Then yes, I guess you're pretty well settled. But to build your own firm from the ground UP. Well, that'll be hard. And thats exactly what I aimed for.

(B) After SPM, I requested to take A-Levels, and planned to venture in architecture afterwards at the very same university I'm applying to now. But my dad shot me down. I remember VERY clearly that he told me to earn my own money. 

So yeah, I guess I can say that I'm a little taken aback and a little pissed off that he's pushing me towards something that they both told me to not pursue years ago.

Okay, so ME, about 6 hours ago = One confused and pissed being.

I mean, I can just picture how everything would've gone if my parents weren't there. I would've came to Taylor's. Settled everything. Return. And head towards a friend's house. And sleep. And not have any worries, until classes begin on the 28th.

But no, by some twist of fate; My parents came with me, my dad lectured on about how architecture is far superior than interior design, how only idiots should pursue interior design coz apparently to him its super easy and doesn't require much effort, how I'm wasting my 'intelligence' for something so petty, and how it seemed to him that I took I.D. as an easy way out coz I don't wanna have to work hard to achieve anything.

And yeah, so ME again, 6 hours ago = Confused, pissed and CRYING.

I know its childish. But if you know me well, you'd know I have this inability to hide tears or stop them from running down.

I tried to keep myself in check, but the way my dad said everything just did it for me. So yeah, I cried. I'm VERY thankful that it didn't progress to unstoppable sobbing though.

Okay, so yeah I know this is annoying, but ME, 6 hours ago = Confused and doubtful.

See, as harsh as my father was, I can never NOT take his words into account. I mean, this is the man I look up to most whilst growing up (and still do). This is a man who a lot of other people look up as well, and respects. A man who is as successful as he is now because of his own effort.

So even when he did say everything in a very annoyed (slash insulting) tone, I know very well that he's far more experienced and well rounded than I am. And not just literally.

And plus, he's my father. So I can be a hundred percent certain that he told me all that he did was so that I wouldn't make the wrong decision. And of course! He's doing what every awesome parents do: Wanting the best for their child.

I paid my fees and all. But ehhh. On the way home, in the car, I thought about what my dad said. I asked my mother for her opinion. She agreed with him, but she's more lenient in letting ME decide.

And so when I got home, I called a friend who is at the moment studying for a diploma in architecture so that I could see the bigger picture. 

That is whyyyy I shall be going back to Taylor's lakeside campus tomorrow, to request for a course change. The good thing about private colleges is that you can be almost certain that this is possible. So I don't need to fret about whether or not they would allow me.

YES readers. I shall be changing courses, again, from Foundation in Design into Foundation in Natural & Built Environments, and from then on I'll be well on my way into becoming an architect. 

I find all this a bit funny (well, after the crying and the confusion and the decision making version 2.0), coz its been my childhood ambition, and I had to go through medicine and I.D. first before I decided upon it.

And not to forget how HIGH-LARIOUS the fact that I'm trading six years of studying medicine for approximately the same amount of time to become an architect is.

All these years I thought architectural students had it easy and got to graduate early. PFFFT. 

Ahhhh but WTV, the lakeside campus is so damn GORGEOUS I don't even care. Seriously. Once I begin classes, insyaAllah, I'll make sure to snap a few thousand photos and share them here.

Goodnight.


P/S: Cutting my hair tomorrow coz I'm sick of having long hair already. And so that I would realize how ridiculously chubby my face is with short hair and I would be more motivated to lose weight. YEAAAHHH. Also planning on attempting THIS:


Buttermilk fried chicken from [ NO RECIPES ].

And attempt to lose weight afterwards. Teehee.

1 comment:

aynaalokman said...

nad, good luck!

mintak maaf jugak klu ada silap salah.
everyone will miss you :(